LGBT Alphabet Soup
LGBT and many, many similar and related acronyms is used to denote the segment of society whose sexual anatomy/preference/identity and/or gender identity is something other than exclusively heterosexual and Cisgender(ed).
Expansions are often used to include other supportive individuals as well.
(in alphabetical order)
A: Allies or Advocates (also Androgynous and Asexual)
G: Gay (can refer to male-only or male/female depending on context)
Q: Queer or Questioning
S: Sensitive or Supporting
- 1980s: "GLB" in common usage.
- 1990s: "GLBT" seen more commonly.
- 2000s: Variations abound.
- 2010s: "LGBT" becomes most common and preferred acronym.
- "LGBTI", LGBTQ", and LGBTIQ" seen more commonly.