Couple of questions.

Pinkfest Discussion Forum

Return to Pinkfest

Couple of questions.

Postby debbiebrown » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:13 am

HI,

So this is my first ever visit to Chicago and I am staying at the Red Roof downtown.
Am I the only attendee staying there?

I notice from the schedule that some of the events will require using the metro or taxis, is it safe to be on the metro on your own to the areas were the events are going on?

I am feeling a little anxious about travelling on my own on the public transport system so would taxis be expensive?
Any Chaperones would be very welcome!
debbiebrown
Sophomore

Re: Couple of questions.

Postby annie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 am

> I notice from the schedule that some of the events will require using the
> metro or taxis, is it safe to be on the metro on your own to the areas were
> the events are going on?

By "metro" I assume you mean the Chicago Subway/El system.

Most of the general areas where our activities are concentrated this year are perfectly safe and inhabited mostly by open-minded residents and visitors.

The only thing Tuesday is the Downtown Bar, which is an "alternative" (LGBT) bar on State Street in the River North district, an easy and safe walk from your hotel.

On Wednesday, just about everything is out in Oak Park, which I might describe as a very open-minded "artsy-fartsy" community. :) Yes, it's very safe to take the El out there, even alone, particularly during the daytime. It should be a comfortable ride. Take the Green Line train marked "Harlem". You'll get off at the Oak Park station and the Hemmingway stuff, Kelly, and Winberies are all just a couple of blocks north of the station. A taxi out there would be a bit spendy.

On Thursday, several things are in the Rogers Park area. This is what I would call an "eclectic" community on Chicago's far north side. It's an easy and comfortable train ride. Take the Red Line train marked "Howard" and get off at Jarvis for LWG and the wine tasting. Big Chicks is in the "Uptown" neighborhood, somewhat south of Rogers Park, but a very easy and safe walk from the Argyle Red Line stop. I've walked that one alone in the dead of night and never felt unsafe.

On Friday, most everything is centered around the downtown Loop and River North areas. All well-traveled, well-patroled, and proven to be safe and comfortable.

On Saturday, things are concentrated around the Lakeview ("Boystown") neighborhood, which is a LGBT enclave. Items on our schedule are an easy walk from the Belmont Red Line station.

For Sunday, most everything is River North, walkable from your hotel except for Twin Anchors which is a few blocks north of the Brown Line Sedgwick station.

> I am feeling a little anxious about travelling on my own on the public
> transport system

Our people have taken the subway/El ever since the early days of Pinkfest. Ginger also takes the bus quite a bit. I don't ever recall any of our people having issues on the subway/El. Almost all transit riders are doing their own thing and not really paying attention to others. You will be nothing new to the residents and visitors in any of the neighborhoods discussed above.

What I might suggest is that you get a Ventra card (transit card) and load a 7 day visitor pass on it as soon as you get in town. Both airports have very easy subway/El connections to River North and your hotel is an easily-doable walk (even with bags) from the Grand Street station. Use the new elevator. You won't have to schlep your bags up the stairway!

For a good overview of the Chicago subway/El system, surf here:

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Chicago,_Illinois

(Shameless plug: If you know my real-life name, look at the photo credits.) :) :)

> so would taxis be expensive?

I find myself taking taxis off and on. They are not cheap but they are handy, particularly at night or if you're too lazy (or under the influence) to do the walking. :) :) :)

Hope this helps.
annie
Elector

Couple of questions.

Postby External Poster » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 pm

This posting is from: Debbie
----------

Thanks Annie,

Thats a big help.

----------
(This posting was entered by Debbie, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Return to Pinkfest