Pinkfest 2015 Lodging Planning - again

Pinkfest Discussion Forum

Return to Pinkfest

Postby Valerie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:49 am

I'm still seriously considering a "whole house" option from AirBnB If others wish to share. As an example, I have an inquiry in for listing https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/145690 which would be $2683 if checking in on Tuesday, 10/13/2015 and checking out Monday, 10/19/2015.

That first floor apartment has 4 bedrooms and 2 baths and is near Lincoln Park, very close to Twin Anchors (a venue on our preliminary schedule) and close to the Sedgwick station on the Brown Line.

My plan is to make the arrangements and then collect from my fellow attendees. As coordinator, I'm taking my preferred bedroom. Others would be available on first come, first served basis. Cost would be a straight split by bedroom assuming 1 attendee per room. The cost per room for this property would be $670.75, or $111.79 per night. That's a darn good price compared to hotel rooms. Plus you'd have guaranteed company for the entire week. There is a $25 additional fee for extra guests, so if you bring a spouse, you'd have to pay an additional $150 for a total of $820.75. Oh, and that includes all fees and taxes.

My plans are to travel on Tuesday before the gathering and on Monday after the last night of activities. If someone wants to share with me but wants to arrive later or leave earlier than I do, I'd still expect a straight split. Even if you arrive a day late and left a day earlier, the costs will still beat any hotel in that area.

This might also be a good idea for someone who does not yet feel ready to walk out the door by themselves. Staying with someone may help. That said, I'm expecting anyone who does decide to share to come through. I don't want to be stuck with a last minute cancellation or a no show. There's no travel insurance in play here. If something comes up, I'll still need you to meet your financial commitment. This isn't organized though the event coordinators in any way. This is just between us roomies.

I've used AirBnB once already for PinkFest 2014. I inquired about a couple of options before selecting one. In each case, I made it clear that I was a MtoF crossdresser. It was always readily accepted. Another member here simply includes in their AirBnB profile that they are transgendered. I point this out because the owner of the property will probably want real names and I plan to provide that. I personally feel that it is just polite to let the host know who is staying in their home. The last thing I'd want is tension with the host when we are using their private residence. It might not be as critical in a whole house situation, but that's the way I handled it when using a single room reservation and I see no reason not to extend the same courtesy in a whole house rental.

I have also asked the property owner about hosting a small reception. I had mentioned that in previous posts and I'm still open to that if the property owner doesn't reject the idea.

If you are interested contact me by email - valerie at obsydian dot com. ALL ARRANGEMENTS WILL BE MADE BY EMAIL, not here in the forum. This is NOT a first-come first-server proposition. If I get three attendees who want to share, I'll be point and will make all arrangements for the accommodations. I'll also front the payment for the listing. Repayment arrangements will be done BY EMAIL.

Ideally I'll get one veteran and a couple of newbies (I already have one in mind... but it's up in the air) so this could double as a big sister situation as well.

Contact me BY EMAIL if interested. Again, this is NOT an arrangement coordinated by PinkFest organizers.

- Valerie
Valerie
Volunteer

Postby External Poster » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:49 pm

This posting is from: Ginger
----------

Valarie,

I think I know you from past events. I am now looking for lodging too
since I have discovered that the AirBnB host I stayed with last year is
listed as inactive. I've sent him a text to see what is going on in the
hope he will open back up for me. If not I may go back to one of my past
places.

Your offer is very attractive, but I'm afraid of getting involved in a
complicated lodging arrangement with multiple roommates for a variety of
reasons. Mainly, as Annie and others who know me well, understand this
goes against my philosophy of keep it simple.

Ginger

----------
(This posting was entered by Ginger, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Re: Pinkfest 2015 Lodging Planning - again

Postby annie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 am

> since I have discovered that the AirBnB host I stayed with last
> year is listed as inactive.

That's too bad! Those guys were sweet.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Ginger brought her AirBnB landlords (oooohhh, mistah land-lawd! c-i-l-l) :) :) to one of our activities and they even followed us to the bar that night. :)

> Your offer is very attractive, but I'm afraid of getting involved in a
> complicated lodging arrangement with multiple roommates for a
> variety of reasons.

First of all, I want to commend Valerie for organizing this. I want to use this as an example in discussing lodging for DLV, since the skyrocketing prices of Las Vegas hotels has become a hot topic.

> Mainly, as Annie and others who know me well, understand this
> goes against my philosophy of keep it simple.

I hear you. Why I'm not jumping on this is really a "it's not you, it's me" thing. I've done the roommate thing and I've done the "squadbay" thing at some events. I find that I enjoy events such as Pinkfest much better when I don't have to work around others. I also don't particularly like being a houseguest! I'm always afraid I'll break something, make too much noise, not live up to expectations of tidiness, etc.

As for Pinkfest, I've tried it several ways, such as motel out in the 'burbs, older cheaper hotel downtown, less expensive hotel out of the downtown area, etc. I always keep circling back to the "usual suspect" name brand hotels in the River North area. I enjoy things more. I just hold my nose and pay the bill at the desk. :)
annie
Elector

Re: Pinkfest 2015 Lodging Planning - again (not)

Postby Valerie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:29 pm

As much as I wanted to do this, it doesn't look like it will happen. Affordable whole house options at AirBnb that are close to public transportation are going fast and there has not yet been any interest expressed. Maybe next year. I've found great options for private rooms with private baths and I'm sending an inquiry about booking one of those as I type this.
Valerie
Volunteer

Postby annie » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:00 am

> I've found great options for private rooms with private
> baths and I'm sending an inquiry about booking one

What you might do is if you run into rooms that look promising, are affordable, and are conveniently located, is post them here. One of our major issues over the years for people coming from out of town is that many do not know where to stay, and some hints would be appreciated.
annie
Elector

Postby Valerie » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 pm

I secured my lodging. I'll be three blocks from the Logan Square station on the Blue line. My trips will be longer, but I'll see more of the city. The place I stayed last year isn't listed on AirBnB this year.

A couple of the "whole house" options I investigated were "going to be put on the market" or were "scheduled on another site" when I inquired about them. I don't know if disclosing transgender status played a part in that or not. It was kind of disappointing, but I really don't have any solid reason to believe that disclosure was the reason. AirBnB can be a bit flighty as hosts contend with their own travel schedules and lives. Last year I got a positive response from everyone I contacted. This year I got a lot of declines due to scheduling etc.

The host I'm scheduled with right now is a civil rights attorney... so I was fairly certain that wasn't going to get a decline based on transgender status.

As for posting places I find, I really recommend just using the AirBnB site. It lets you search by map with filters for type of lodging, pricing, etc.

That said, there are several other private room listings near Logan Square if someone wants to grab one and then travel together to the various events. I'm staying near the corner of Whipple and Logan, just east of the Logan Square station.
Valerie
Volunteer

Postby annie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 am

> I secured my lodging. I'll be three blocks from the Logan Square station on
> the Blue line. My trips will be longer, but I'll see more of the city.

The ride into the city is not that bad from Logan Square. 15 minutes or so to the Loop.

You'll get some great views of the Wicker Park area on the elevated stretch, riding on some of the oldest trackage in use today.

> I'm staying near the corner of Whipple and Logan, just east of the
> Logan Square station.

That's actually a very nice older neighborhood.
annie
Elector

Postby External Poster » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:52 am

This posting is from: Laura Wright
----------

Cool! Logan Square is an interesting and vibrant neighborhood. It has
changed a lot in recent years. It has many artsy and independent shops,
restaurants and cafes. You'll have to spend some time exploring the
neighborhood.

----------
(This posting was entered by Laura Wright, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Return to Pinkfest