confused about which hotel to book

Pinkfest Discussion Forum

Return to Pinkfest

Postby debbiebrown » Sun May 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi, Just need some advice on which hotel to book, I would like to be centrally located and with some other girls for sharing taxi's etc to the event.
I am pretty flexible o budget as long as its not way over the top but am prepared to pay a little extra to be clsoe by the events and with other girls.

Met quite a few girls at DLV so if any of my new friends are staying anyway please let me know, I want to make my booking over next week or so.

Thanks
Debs
debbiebrown
Sophomore

Re: confused about which hotel to book

Postby annie » Mon May 18, 2015 6:55 am

Debbie, I know you said in another thread that you already booked the Red Roof Inn, but here are a few more in the same general area which will be a bit nicer, not that much more expensive, and where I'm sure you'll have a more enjoyable stay. This is, of course, if you choose to cancel and re-book.

Before I go on, I'll say that I've stayed at the RRI twice for Pinkfest with no issues. The location is very good and the prices usually can't be beat. If you understand that you'll get a small plain very spartan room in an older hotel and that's what you want, then it may indeed be what you want.

Now, one other thing. I am assuming that you will NOT be driving a vehicle? Correct?

Here are a few that I would recommend as a step-up without breaking the bank.

1. Holiday Inn Express, on Wabash just north of Ontario. This is the old Hotel Cass which has been spiffed up quite a bit in recent years. My room was small, but had that modern "but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night" look and feel to it. This is also much closer to the Red Line subway station.

2. Fairfield Inn. This is about 1/2 block east of the RRI. Again, it's a renovated older hotel but has more modern rooms.

3. Inn Of Chicago. This is 1 block south of the RRI at Ohio and St. Clair. I've never stayed here but Ginger did a few years ago and liked it. It's currently not affiliated with a major chain, but was with Best Western until a few years ago.

If you have any more questions, I do know the hotels in that area fairly well.
annie
Elector

Postby External Poster » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 am

This posting is from: Debbie
----------

Hi Annie,

Thanks for the reply, you are right I will not have a vehicle, the red
roof does seem to have been done up a bit by the looks of the website
the one I am staying at is the Magnificent Mile, on 162 E Ontario
Street.

I also got a cheaper price booking through Expedia than I did on their
own web site and have got the 6 nights in a King Superior for just under
$950.

What do you think, is that a good deal or would I be better in one of
the hotels you have suggested?

Is Red Roof close to all the events taking place? Eg: Cheap Taxi ride or
within walking distance? This sort of convenience is my main priority, I
also want to stay where other Girls are staying so we can share Taxi's
and have someone to go to an event with if feeling nervous etc.

Your advise is very welcome.

Not only have I never been to Chicago before but I have only been living
in the USA since 2014 having moved over from England.

Thanks
Debbie

----------
(This posting was entered by Debbie, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Re: confused about which hotel to book

Postby annie » Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 am

> you are right I will not have a vehicle,

I just wanted to be sure. Only two hotels (that I know of) in that area have parking included.

> the one I am staying at is the Magnificent Mile, on 162 E Ontario

That's the one I was referring to. I'm very familiar with it.

> I also got a cheaper price booking through Expedia than I did on their
> own web site and have got the 6 nights in a King Superior for just under
> $950.

That comes out to $158 and change per night, which is a very good rate for that area.

In checking with Travelocity (same engine and data set, or so I've been told) I show RRI as $153, but this probably does not include nuisance fees and such.

> What do you think, is that a good deal or would I be better in one of
> the hotels you have suggested?

None of those I suggested in the last post come close to this price. Inn Of Chicago is $200-ish. Fairfield is a bit higher. Even Ohio House, a "vintage" motel (feelin' lucky? are ya?) is $208. :)

> Is Red Roof close to all the events taking place? Eg: Cheap Taxi ride or
> within walking distance? This sort of convenience is my main priority,

We won't know the actual schedule for a while, but anything we do in the River North area will be an easy walk. Anything downtown (loop) will be walkable assuming you like to walk. We'll usually do some things in Lakeview ("Boystown") and that's a reasonable taxi ride or an easy subway ride, even for those new to public exposure.

We usually do one day and/or evening in Oak Park, which is a longer train ride (usually reported as quite comfortable) or a fairly spendy taxi ride.

> also want to stay where other Girls are staying so we can share Taxi's
> and have someone to go to an event with if feeling nervous etc.

I think a few of them are holding to see what happens with the shared AirBnB thing. I'm not sure where that stands. I'll be over at the Hampton, one of the two where I often stay.

> Not only have I never been to Chicago before but I have only been living
> in the USA since 2014 having moved over from England.

Yes, I could tell from the accent that you were not a Stayshider. :) :) :)

Since you survived the public exposure at DLV, you should have no issues at Pinkfest. The "civilians" in Chicago tend to be very live-and-let-live. We've never had any significant incidents of anyone at Pinkfest getting hassled.
annie
Elector

Return to Pinkfest