Pinkfest Lodging planning

Pinkfest Discussion Forum

Return to Pinkfest

Postby Valerie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:52 am

Take note... this is for Pinkfest, not DLV.

I'm very seriously considering a "whole house" option from AirBnB If I can find someone who wishes to share. As an example, I'm looking at https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4085511?ch ... 015&s=FhmY which would be $2856 if checking in on Tuesday, 10/06/2015 and checking out Monday, 10/12/2015.

That condo has 5 bedrooms and 3 baths and is in River North, very close to downtown and most of our usual attractions. It's just an example of what is available. I'm not really expecting to find four others who want to share, but if it happens....

My plan is to make the arrangements and then collect from my fellow attendees. As coordinator, I'm taking my preferred bedroom. Others would be available on first come, first served basis. Cost would be a straight split. The example above, the cost per person would be $571.20, or $81.60 per night. That's a darn good price compared to hotel rooms. Plus you'd have guaranteed company for the entire week.

I don't expect to get that place or have that many wanting to share, but I do think that even if 2, 3, or 4 of us want to do this that we'd save money and have nice time doing it.

Since both Pinkfests I've attended have started with lunch on Wednesday and ended Sunday evening, my plans are to travel on Tuesday before the gathering and on Monday after the last night of activities. That will change if future schedules are changed. If someone wants to share with me but wants to arrive later or leave earlier than I do, I'd still expect a straight split. Even if you arrive a day late and left a day earlier, the costs will still beat any hotel.

This might also be a good idea for someone who does not yet feel ready to walk out the door by themselves. Staying with someone may help. That said, I'm expecting anyone who does decide to share to come through. I don't want to be stuck with a last minute cancellation or a no show. There's no travel insurance in play here. If something comes up, I'll still need you to meet your financial commitment. This isn't organized though the event coordinators in any way. This is just between us roomies.

I've used AirBnB once already for PinkFest 2014. I inquired about a couple of options before selecting one. In each case, I made it clear that I was a MtoF crossdresser. It was always readily accepted. Another member here simply includes in their AirBnB profile that they are transgendered. I point this out because the owner of the property will probably want real names and I plan to provide that. I personally feel that it is just polite to let the host know who is staying in their home. The last thing I'd want is tension with the host when we are using their private residence. It might not be as critical in a whole house situation, but that's the way I handled it when using a single room reservation and I see no reason not to extend the same courtesy in a whole house rental.

So, think about it. I think we can find some really nice places with anywhere from 2 to 5 bedrooms. Maybe it can bring out some of the more timid who want to attend their first PinkFest.

- Valerie
Valerie
Volunteer

Postby External Poster » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:38 am

This posting is from: Charlotte
----------

Hi Valerie,

Happy 2015. I have never attended Pink Fest, can you tell me more about
it? I am a 50 trans woman who lives in the Chicago area.

Take care

Charlotte

----------
(This posting was entered by Charlotte, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Re: Pinkfest Lodging planning

Postby Valerie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:52 pm

Short answer. Vacation for crossdressers with several planned activities, almost all of which are out in the general public. I've attended for two years. It tends to be a small group but we hope to grow it. Specific activities might have between 2 and 12 (the largest I've seen) attendees. More are welcome.

A more complete answer can be found at http://www.geekbabe.com/pinkfest/
Valerie
Volunteer

Postby annie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks for doing this, Valerie. It's probably not for me, personally, but I think it would be very helpful since the cost of accommodations in Chicago is the most frequent reason or excuse (pick one) :) for not attending Pinkfest. Even a lower-end hotel room in the River North area would be much more than the price you cited.

I know that this is for Pinkfest, but DLVers have done this type of thing too on occasion. Not with AirBnB but with agencies that rent timeshares/condos to visitors. We used to have a group from the mid-south who would drive in and camp out in a multi-bedroom condo and it worked quite well for them. We've also had people book the Desert Rose apartments over the years.

Anyway, please keep us updated as to the plans, it sounds very promising! :)
annie
Elector

Postby laurawright » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:18 am

Valerie,
This sounds like a great idea! I have had family rent condos in the River North area of Chicago several times and it is a much better deal than a hotel. Two years ago my brothers ran in the Chicago marathon and stayed at the Grand Plaza for much less than a hotel with way more room and better accommodations. You get a living room, kitchen, etc. And often a great view of the city. I agree it is the place to be!
-Laura
laurawright
Junior

Postby External Poster » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:57 pm

This posting is from: Jannas Studio
----------

Hello Laura, hoping to see you and my sisters this year. So glad to say
"I'M STILL AROUND!". Hugs and kisses, Janna _www.jannasstudio_
(http://www.jannasstudio) .

----------
(This posting was entered by Jannas Studio, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Postby Valerie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:24 pm

With the dates now proposed, I've been looking into AirBnB reservations. My new suggestion is the following listing with four beds (2 queen, 2 full) in four bedrooms, 2 baths. This is just two blocks from the Belmont Redline station, just three blocks from Ann Sathers. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4395112?ch ... 015&s=0juB

Cost is just $1295 right now, or $323.75 for the entire stay. That's for arrival on Tuesday and departure on Monday with four of us sharing. Also, it accommodates up to 8 so if your SO comes, they are welcome. I'm dividing the cost by bedroom, so I'm not including SO's in the count for cost distribution... just like it was a hotel.

I've also asked if a small dinner party/reception would be acceptable and got the thumbs up. Some hosts have rules against that. I know that a Tuesday night gathering has been discussed before and that could happen here if it's small and if someone would like to take the lead in planning it.

There are nicer and closer properties, but I'm cheap so I propose this one. If we settle on a group of roomies, we'll further discuss whether this is the property we want or if we want to upgrade a little.

I have to confirm my schedule to make sure I'm going.

Anyone interested in sharing this property or another should email me at - valerie at obsydian dot com
Decisions about who joins me in the reservation will be made outside the forum. It won't just be a first come, first served situation. I will be considering how well I know someone as well as how much support someone like a first time attendee might need.

Since I've posted my interest in this property here on the forum, I do ask that you refrain from poaching it before my final arrangements are made for Pinkfest. If my interest goes away, I'll post that here.
Valerie
Volunteer

Postby Valerie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Sadly, the AirBnB listing in the previous post is no longer available. Several weeks ago the host and listing "disappeared". I saw a lot of automated cancellations on the host's page.

Now, I'm thinking about staying in Oak Park for the week. The quality of accommodations goes up and the costs go down. I'm looking at a place that is just three blocks from the Ridgeland Green Line station. You can see it here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3569561?ch ... 5&guests=6

It looks fabulous. I've just sent a message to the hosts to see if they are open to allowing a opening night reception or something.

Again, I ask that you not poach this since I've posted interest here.

The cost for that property would be $1879 for the week if there are four of us with two SOs. Check-in on Tuesday and check-out on the following Monday. There are 4 bedrooms so the cost for an attendee would be $469.75 for the week or $78 per night. As before, that's a per bedroom cost. There's a $25/night fee for each guest over 2, so if we just had four of us with no SOs, the cost would actually go down... remember I'm just splitting cost by bedroom used. Yeah, three attendes with one SO will be split three ways. I'm thinking of taking it even if I can just get one of us who wants to share. Total cost with just two people is only $1254. I paid over a grand for my hotel room by myself at my first Pinkfest. Yeah, it stinks that they charge extra after getting over two guests, but "dems da breaks".

Again, contact me if you are interested in this arrangement. I'm not interested in quibbling about arriving a day later or leaving a day earlier. We're just splitting the cost evenly, regardless of your travel schedule.
Valerie
Volunteer

Postby annie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:35 am

> I'm looking at a place that is just three blocks from the Ridgeland
> Green Line station.

Oak Park is a very nice area. Ridgeland is actually a very easy walk (assuming you like to walk) from the main downtown Oak Park area.

> I've just sent a message to the hosts to see if they are
> open to allowing a opening night reception or something.

That would be great if it could be arranged, kind of a precursor to a typical Oak Park night on the town. :) (I hope the drink prices at Bar Louie are similar - I actually thought my check was in error!) :)
annie
Elector

Postby External Poster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:13 pm

This posting is from: Ginger
----------

The Oak Park location looks good and except for long train ride I think
where you are planning on sounds good.

I had such a great AirBnB place so close to the train, bus and downtown
near Andersonville. The hosts could not have been better and even gave
me a little going away present. I'm probably going to try to go back to
them and guess I should quit procrastinating and do it soon.

I've been waiting until the first of the month to buy my air fare and
that is next week already!

Ginger

----------
(This posting was entered by Ginger, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Next

Return to Pinkfest