Locked out of my hotel room, again

Diva Las Vegas Discussion Forum

Return to DLV Discussion Forum

Postby Sarah Doepner » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Several of you know that Monday night after the welcome celebration at Bahama Breeze I returned to my hotel and discovered they had locked me out of my room. I had requested and received a room change earlier that day and everything seemed fine. Evidently the agent who gave me keys to the new, and much quieter room, failed to check all the right boxes in the computer While I was enjoying dinner someone attempted to move into my room and was surprised to find it occupied. With no good information available, the hotel locked everyone out of the room to "force contact". It turned into a nearly 3 hour exercise but was finally resolved after several trips to the front desk, phone calls, ID sharing, visits with engineering and security.

Overall it was frustrating on an organizational level but my gender presentation was never an issue with them, unless double takes from ID to reality is an issue. I was treated with respect and a few of them even attempted to use pronouns that corresponded to my presentation. I called the General Manager's "Hot Line" to let them know about the issue and today, after a long, polite and reassuring conversation a hotel manager, I think it was figured out and they are looking for ways to improve service. We both agreed that it was something that could have been resolved much more quickly had someone on the staff taken ownership of the issue once the initial mistake had been identified. Being willing to speak up and discuss the issue resulted in some small compensation for me in the form of a couple of nights, on the house, when I make my next trip to Las Vegas.

If there is a message here, it's just that reminder that they are happy to have our business and gender identity of their customers is not something that concerns them. If you have an issue with any of their staff, feel free to speak up.
Sarah Doepner
Elector

Re: Locked out of my hotel room, again

Postby annie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:15 pm

> I returned to my hotel and discovered they had locked me out
> of my room.

May I ask which hotel this was please? Nothing major, mostly curious. :)

> While I was enjoying dinner someone attempted to move into my
> room and was surprised to find it occupied.

Having worked in hotels off and on in a previous life, I'm unfortunately aware of a number of cases of double check-in and bad check-out and such. Some of them were embarrassing to those involved. All of them I'm aware of were simple unintended human error, mostly happening when the desk was very busy.

> Overall it was frustrating on an organizational level but my gender
> presentation was never an issue with them,

I've found it to be on average about once every five years that I find myself being locked out of a hotel room for one reason or another. I don't recall ever being personally in a double check-in situation. It's always been human error or some kind of a failure of the key or the lock.

Last time was last summer at Ameristar in Kansas City. They eventually ended up having to send up maintenance to let me in and totally swap out the door lock, which was the issue.

About 5 years ago at the Flamingo during DLV it happened to me. She just apologized for them having the wrong check-out day on the key and gave me new keys.

> Being willing to speak up and discuss the issue resulted in some small
> compensation for me in the form of a couple of nights, on the house,

Hey! I only got ONE night comped when I got stuck in the elevator with 6 total strangers at the old Sahara back at DLV 200-something! :)

> it's just that reminder that they are happy to have our business and gender
> identity of their customers is not something that concerns them. If you
> have an issue with any of their staff, feel free to speak up.

If this was one of the CET properties (Caesars, Paris, Flamingo, etc.) it's their corporate policy to welcome LGBT folks at all of their properties. I was told several years ago that, among other things, gender diversity was included in their management training. For a while, Paris was actively marketing to the LGBT community.

I know that many of our people tend to be very shy when dealing with venue management, but we're good customers and our money is just as green as anyone else's. It's been many years since I've heard of any kind of negative experience between our folks and any management or staff.
annie
Elector

Re: Locked out of my hotel room, again

Postby Sarah Doepner » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:13 pm

>
> May I ask which hotel this was please? Nothing major, mostly curious. :)

It was Palace Station. I was out in the Courtyard.
Sarah Doepner
Elector

Postby External Poster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:05 pm

This posting is from: Gina
----------

Always been happy with palace station, I usually stay in the tower.

----------
(This posting was entered by Gina, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Return to DLV Discussion Forum