Activity Highlight Nordstrom Makeover Experience Fri 3/27/15

Diva Las Vegas Discussion Forum

Return to DLV Discussion Forum

Postby Sara » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:41 am

Hello everyone. For the FIFTH year in a row, I am pleased to be coordinating a makeover experience. This year there is a twist. The main artist who I work with, Carrie, has changed locations and she is now at Nordstrom, also in the Fashion Show Mall on the Las Vegas Strip. Given that I first met her back in 2009, it was a no-brainer to have our event follow her.

Interestingly, the management at Nordstrom is more engaged than the managers I dealt with in previous years and they are beyond enthusiastic for us to attend. Not only are we having the usual makeover event but there is also a Fragrance Demonstration which is scheduled prior to the first makeover session at 2:00 p.m. Additionally...and this is a really neat twist...we are encouraged to utilize Nordstrom's Personal Stylists (aka Personal Shoppers) to help find fabulous fashions for DLV week and beyond. More on that elsewhere, or contact me through this forum for details.

In the meantime, the following is adapted from my previous threads on this event with some updated comments here and there (including an important change regarding scheduling and selecting your makeup line, see below)...

How did this event come to be? Well at my first DLV in 2009, I met an artist at Macy's who did unbelievable makeovers for me two days in a row, the second of which she pretty much insisted on my returning because the first one was so much fun (OK, I admit, it didn't take much at all to twist my arm). Then in 2010, I contacted her ahead of time to schedule a couple more makeovers. She did one and because she was off on the other date, she introduced me to another artist who was just as enthusiastic and talented.

Fast forward to 2011, I contacted both artists ahead of time and we put together the event for DLV, a chance to be as gorgeous as possible before Friday evening's ending bash. I would consider our turnout in 2011 a modest success with 6 of us participating. However, 2012 was an entirely different story as there were at least 14 of us by my conservative count. How hard could getting a count be? Well the area was buzzing with activity like you wouldn't believe and like a wedding, I was having so much fun checking in on everyone and participating myself that it was hard to get an accurate count. 2013 had a similar turnout. For 2014 we had yet another instant replay on the schedule. The lead counter this time was Benefit.

As noted above, for 2015 we are moving the event to NORDSTROM. At this moment we have 11 DLV attendees signed up. I'm hoping that by putting this information out there we can encourage a few more DLV ladies to participate. All I ask is that those who signed up for a particular time slot, please be prepared to show up and be on time because I am conveying these appointments to Nordstrom to update their appointment books.

THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IS NEW, RESPONSE BY THE ATTENDEES IS RECOMMENDED SO PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.

The lead counter is where Carrie is, Yves Saint Laurent. Many of you may have worked with her in the past but from what I gather, this event will be accommodated by the entire department, not just YSL and a back-up. I'm guessing that Carrie's three makeover slots will fill up quickly so if you want her as your artist, please respond to this thread indicating this as your preference. Otherwise, please respond here with your three favorite department store cosmetics lines (in order of preference) and I will work with the department manager to try to accommodate your first choice as best we can. Phone calls are also welcome, my cell number is 714-319-2803 (leave a message if I don't pick up with your name and 3 favs and a call-back number if you wish). I may also reach out to those who have signed up by email.

For example, my current three favorites are...

Lancome
Shiseido
Benefit

Feel free to explore on the Nordstrom website if you are not familiar with the lines they offer or pose a question here, I think I've tried them all! MAC tends to have a good reputation in our community. Clinique is a terrific line which I find to be just about the lowest cost among the department store brands. Dior is a wonderful prestige line. Like MAC, Benefit tends to gravitate towards youth (but that has never stopped me...really, I'm not THAT old!!!). Estee Lauder you can't go wrong with.

So what can be expected from this event? Well first of all, it's as mainstream as can be. But there is something very important to keep in mind...you will be surrounded by support. These artists do so much to make us feel comfortable and the beauty that arises out of their artistry is simply a wonderful bonus. This event is not only for those experienced in going out & about in the mainstream. The newbies can take such giant steps in becoming more comfortable being out in this wonderful world of ours.

There is a $50 minimum product purchase from the counter where the makeover is done which is a great opportunity to buy some of the makeup that is used during the makeover or even to stock up on that all-important SKINCARE. I know some of the participants have "enthusiastically" went well over $50 in the past. Once again, I anticipate that our lead artist will be assembling a "gift-with-purchase" which is always so much fun.

My only other recommendation besides signing up for this event and having fun is to know what your needs are and be prepared accordingly at the makeover. If you have coverage issues where a detailed regimen is used to minimize the appearance of that hated beard-shadow, then my recommendation is to arrive with your foundation in place and do an "eyes/cheeks/lips" makeover at the counter. Otherwise, if you are able to use pretty much any foundation off the shelf, then all the better and have fun experimenting with a new & hopefully wonderful foundation choice as part of the makeover experience. Finally, if you know what you'll be wearing that evening, all the better...bring it along or wear it (or at least be prepared to describe the colors) so that your makeup will be perfectly in sync with your outfit.

These artists are terrific. Their talent is amazing and most of all, they are fun. I am looking forward to seeing so many DLV ladies at this event.

Sara Hayward
Sara
Elector

Postby External Poster » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:22 pm

This posting is from: Sue Robbins srobbins31@yahoo.com [dlvegas]
----------

Sara,

Of course I would love to be with Carrie again. But the second choice
would be Benefit as I have been using more of their products (since
Carrie started me on the).

Sue

----------
(This posting was entered by Sue Robbins srobbins31@yahoo.com [dlvegas], an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Postby External Poster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 am

This posting is from: Sara P
----------

Thank you Sue. Carrie's three time slots are now full with you and I
along with one other reply that I received. I'll need to look at the
sign-ups to see exactly where you will fit in. Are you flexible with
what time your makeover is at?

I can possibly add one more for Carrie at an earlier slot, 2:15 p.m. for
anyone who isn't in the Fragrance Demonstration at that time. If there
is interest, please let me know and I'll find out from Carrie if she is
available at that time.

Sara

----------
(This posting was entered by Sara P, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Postby External Poster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:30 am

This posting is from: Sue Robbins
----------

Sara,

I am completely flexible. If taking 2:15 opens up a spot for someone
else, I am okay with that or any other time too.

Sue

----------
(This posting was entered by Sue Robbins, an external user of MyDLV.)
External Poster
External

Return to DLV Discussion Forum